Saturday, July 23, 2016

First club visits underway.......


Club visits started July 12th, with the Rotary Club of Metter!  WOW!  What a dynamic club with a list of goals of things they would like to accomplish.  I was excited to present the first pin for a new Paul Harris Fellow to Past President Jaime.  They do something unique with the CART (Coins for Alzheimer's Research Trust) buckets.  They use the local football game and pass the bucket in the stands.  They have a captive audience to share a little bit about what CART is doing for research and that 100% of the dollars given go directly to awarding grants for innovative research.  They are also busy raising money for Polio Plus, GED certificates, literacy projects, The Rotary Foundation and much more!  They definitely are part of the All-Star Team!  They honored me with giving $100 to Polio Plus and $500 to the local Communities in Schools to help with a literacy project!

Rotary Club of Metter - All-Star Team Members
The Rotary Club of Vidalia is another club filled with All-Star Team members for 2016-17.  President Garrett is serving his second term since their 2016-17 president had moved because her husband was transferred with work.  Garrett and his board are busy working on membership.  This club meets in a beautiful facility that has lots of local traffic.  They are working on some signage to showcase that the club meets there.  I had the honor of being interviewed  and the headlines in the paper read "Rotary District Governor Visits Vidalia".  I received a club banner to add to the collection. 
Rotary Club of Vidalia - All-Star Team Members
My second week started with the Rotary Club of McIntosh.  What a beautiful location!  The McIntosh Club meets at a local Presbyterian Church.  The new addition is beautiful to the original part of the church that was erected in 1900.  It was extremely special because I had my niece with me for the whole week during these visits.  She was such a huge help with passing out the Governor's pin.  I think she learned a little bit more about Rotary too.  This club is starting a new scholarship this year that just over excites me.  This scholarship will be awarded to a student that works hard and maintains at least a 2.5 GPA.  This is great because it will give a very deserving student that might be at the top of their class, but a very hard worker an opportunity to earn some money for college.  This scholarship will change lives! They are working toward 100% Paul Harris Club too!!  They may be small, but they are working hard in their community.
Rotary Club of McIntosh - All-Star Team Members

A beautiful location!!
They even had the room decorated just for my visit.  It was a GREAT start to the second week of "Official" visits. And I was given a certificate for some fresh shrimp to be mailed home once I'll be homebound for a while.  
WOW....what a beautiful table set up for the club meeting.
Sydney and I were off to meet Assistant Governor Mike Muldowney for a tour of St. Simons Island. We spent several hours looking at houses, churches, and beautiful landscape.  I was so glad to see that the Rotary Club of St. Simons had a Veterans project.  It is located by the pier so if you are there, please stop by and take a look.  



Veteran's Park project by the Rotary Club of St. Simons
My first breakfast club was the Rotary Club of Golden Isles-Glynn County.  What a surprise to find that a new member that was joining their club used to be a member from Aiken and worked for the Aiken Standard.  He remembered my name and it was so good to see that he was joining the club!  This club is very active with the local elementary school, holds a Chili Cook Off as their fundraiser, helps with the Special Needs Prom and much more.  They are close to being a 100% Paul Harris Club and hopefully they will take up the challenge of matching points.  I met with the board after the meeting and had a very good meeting.  President Bill is a high energy president and will be great for this club.
Rotary Club of Golden Isles-Glynn County - All-Star Team Members
Thursday morning I met Assistant Governor Todd Freesemann to follow him to the board meeting of the Rotary Club of Richmond Hill.  I received a full report of what the club did last year and some goals for 2016-17.  It is quite an impressive list and they are making a difference in many lives of those in the community.  It was a beautiful location. We were a little short on time, so I didn't get through all of what I wanted to share.  I did receive many comments about the enthusiasm shown during my presentation.  They have a unique collection container for CART (Coins for Alzheimer's Research Trust).  It was the first time I saw a club brochure to let those interested in the club know what they do!!  GREAT JOB Richmond Hill!!
Personalized container for CART!  WAY to go RICHMOND HILL!!

A GREAT public image piece.

Rotary Club of Richmond Hill - All-Star Team Members

President Brad has 6 members coming to Atlanta!!
Friday held excitement for me as I prepared to meet the board of the Rotary Club of Savannah East. This club is focusing on membership, literacy, a special partnership with a local elementary school and raising money for Polio Plus and The Rotary Foundation!  As I walked in the board meeting, President Beth showed me she was wearing her boots too! This club was already a 100% Paul Harris Club, but they will be helping raise money for The Rotary Foundation.  Haven Elementary principal and two other administrators joined members at the regular meeting.  I had the honor of inducting a new member and giving pins to a new Major Donor. It was a VERY special meeting to end the week.
Ed and Judy Donohue, newest Major Donors

Inducting Larry into the Rotary Club of Savannah East as the newest member!

Rotary Club of Savannah East - All-Star Team Members
It has been an amazing journey so far.  With 1463 miles behind me as I prepare for the upcoming week, I am very honored to meet the Rotarians in our district.  Keep up the GREAT work All-Star Team Members!!!  We are going to have an amazing 2016-17.

Stay tuned for more....

Pam Lightsey
2016-17 District Governor
www.rotarypamlightsey.com






















No comments:

Post a Comment