Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Another week of visits, ending with a service project

WOW!!  What a week!  I started back in Savannah with a visit to the Rotary Club of Savannah. This club has started something different for the 2016-17 year!  They will be recognizing a Soldier of the Week.  What a GREAT way to give back to those that wear a uniform and protect us by serving our country.  A $100 gift certificate will be given each week so the service member and spouse or significant other can enjoy a nice dinner!  Thank you Rotary Club of Savannah for recognizing those that give back in so many ways.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a club photo....everyone scattered.  

After my visit with the Rotary Club of Savannah I was back on the road to Valdosta!  I was looking forward to spending some time with those in Valdosta!!  Some of the oldest Rotary friends are in Valdosta, so it was a special visit for me.  I checked in and received a beautiful surprise sitting on the desk when I walked in my room, a welcome basket.  I asked for no gifts from the clubs, because I really want what they would spend to go to the Rotary Foundation or the Polio Plus effort.  So, I was surprised.

The first club visit in Valdosta was to the Rotary Club of Valdosta North!  What an amazing board meeting.  This club president worked her tail off to get her club 100% Paul Harris Club before her year started, but they still didn't receive recognition from Rotary International.  On the way to the club I made a phone call to Rotary International to check on the status.  I was honored to announce at the club meeting that Rotary International would be sending them their 100% Paul Harris Club Banner.  What an accomplishment!!  This club didn't have an empty seat in the place for my visit. They are doing some amazing things in their community and I'm hoping to get back in October for their Teacher of the Year Banquet.

Rotary Club of Valdosta North
After an amazing day spent at the Rotary Club of Valdosta North, I met my Assistant Governor, Steve Barnes for dinner with Molly (President of the Rotary Club of Valdosta) and Clarence (President Elect of the Rotary Club of Valdosta North).  It was a quaint place and the food was DELICIOUS! Go visit Steel Magnolia's if you are in Valdosta!  Molly surprised me as well with a beautiful basket from the club.  

Wednesday was spent with the Rotary Club of Valdosta!  President Molly out did herself.  The board meeting was filled with drinks, candy and some pretty amazing Rotarians that want to give back.  We spent some time talking about the goals for the year and going over some district goals too.  I was able to announce that the Rotary Club of Valdosta North was now a 100% Paul Harris Fellow Club!  And that makes their Assistant Governor, Steve Barnes, the first Assistant Governor that has all assigned clubs at 100% Paul Harris Fellow!  Congratulations to Steve and thank you for all that you do for Rotary and for your clubs!  I look forward to seeing so many amazing accomplishments coming from this club!  

Rotary Club of Valdosta
On the road after such an amazing time with the Rotary Club of Valdosta to Douglas, Georgia.  It wasn't that far thank goodness.  It allowed me to get plugged into some work that needed a little attention.  I'm so very thankful that I can visit these clubs in the district and VPN to take care of what I need to with work.  

The Rotary Club of Douglas meets at the Douglas Country Club.  I shared information about the upcoming All Star Seminar, District Conference and the 100th Anniversary of The Rotary Foundation!  I mentioned we will also be celebrating 30 years of women in Rotary.  As I looked at my week all my clubs this week are all lead by women.  I enjoyed my visit with the club and their board.  Their signature fundraiser is 30 Guns in 30 Days!  The winning ticket is the Cash 3 number. Many members of the club came up after the presentation and shared their thanks for all I was doing for Rotary. But I have to say "Thank you" for being in Rotary and giving back to your community. After all they presented a check to me for Polio Plus!  WOOHOO!   And yes....we had our group photo too!!  Next stop Dublin.......

Rotary Club of Douglas

I arrived in Dublin with a long list of things to check on.  Not only was I preparing for the official club visit to the Rotary Club of Dublin, but we had our All Star Seminar on Saturday. Thursday night I had the honor to be hosted at the home of President Candace for dinner.  WOW!  What a great night of fellowship and a fabulous meal. What a great way to start my visit in Dublin.  Friday I made my way to the Dublin Country Club to meet with the board.  What a great board!!  I was able to share a little bit more of my story and how I started in Rotary.  The club meeting was another special meeting because so many other guests attended as well.  Debra Lowe, Rotary International Major Gifts Officer, and Tiffany Ervin attended with some of the district leadership.  And yes, I received my green jacket from the club.  

President Candace Christian promoting Atlanta 2017!
The club also collected items for the Broken Shackle Ranch that would be going in the semi on Saturday!  I had the honor of presenting the newest Paul Harris Fellow +2 to the club.  Thank you President Candace for your continued support to The Rotary Foundation.  I also had the honor to announce the newest level of Bequest Society giving by member Frank Seaton.  Thank you Frank for your continued support!  And thank you for being District 6920's first contribution toward our Centennial Million Dollar Dinner!

Rotary Club of Dublin
Friday night was another night of fellowship with Assistant Governors and the members of the board of the Rotary Club of Dublin.  Thank you Dublin for all you did to make Friday night memorable.  It was up early on Saturday!  We had 134 online registrations and many others showed up to attend the All Star Seminar!  We had 46 clubs represented!  I hope to have 100% participation of clubs at District Conference.  But we had many clubs bring car loads of supplies for the semi that will benefit Broken Shackle Ranch.  

Oconee Fall Line Technical College supplied a semi for members to pack full of much needed supplies.

Car loads of much needed supplies for Broken Shackle Ranch

Lloyd Horadan and others helping pack the semi!  I can't thank them enough!

All the way from Valdosta to bring supplies to pack the semi.
A boys home that has served over 8000 young men over the past 30 years! Our morning started with Tiffany Ervin sharing with us how membership and public image go hand in hand.  

Tiffany Ervin addressing the membership of District 6920
We heard more information about Broken Shackle Ranch from Brad May!  Thank you Brad for all you do for Rotary and the young men staying at Broken Shackle Ranch.  If your club is looking for a program ask Broken Shackle Ranch to come present at your club!

Rotarian Brad May from Sandersville sharing information about Broken Shackle Ranch
We heard from a few others too!  Carla shared some information about Interact and Rotaract.  She is an incredible resource to our district if clubs are interested in starting a club. Jan Horadan shared information about the speech contest.  Debra Lowe, Rotary International Major Gifts Officer, shared more information about our Centennial Million Dollar Dinner before we took a break for lunch. But right before lunch, I challenged the membership to put that change/dollars in those blue buckets on the tables.  District Governor Elect Hamsa Thota, District Governor Nominee Margaret Jacobs and District Governor Pam Lightsey would match what was donated at lunch.  

District Governor Pam Lightsey issuing the challenge of a match for monies donated in the
blue buckets for CART (Coins for Alzheimer's Research Trust)
Right before we started back from lunch club members gathered to take photos by the truck with the donated items that will be delivered to Broken Shackle Ranch.






















What an inspiring group of Rotarians that led the charge in collecting some much-needed items for Broken Shackle Ranch.  And the blue buckets had $411 collected at lunch!! With the match from the District Governor string, the CART donation from District 6920 totaled $822!  WOW!  100% of these funds go to provide grants for Alzheimer's research!

After lunch we heard from Amy, Children Inspiring Hope.  What an amazing individual making a difference in those here in Georgia and Ghana!  Thank you Amy for spending the day with us in Dublin.

Items made by women in Ghana!  

Amy addressing Rotarians in District 6920!
And to close out the day, we received an update from District Governor Elect Hamsa on global grants that have been approved for 2016-17, Bill updated us on Shelter Box, Ron May presented the Blankenship Cup,  Renee announced the Rotary Leadership Institute dates, Kathy gave the update on CART donations from last year and explained how the giving would be recorded for the 2016-17 year! And at 1:10 I finished up with door prizes!  Thank you so much to all of those that were there!  Thank you so much to Lloyd Horadan for all he did as my trainer to pull everything together to make Saturday a memorable one for so many that showed up!  

#100ActsofGood  #Rotary6920  #RotaryAllStars  #100TRF

Some pretty amazing women giving back to Rotarians!
WOW!!  If you didn't come, you missed out!  It was an amazing day spent with Rotarians from around out district!  Thank you to all that gave up a Saturday morning to spend with others to learn other best practices, hear some amazing speakers and learn how you can be part of the FIRST Million Dollar Dinner for our district.  

Stay tuned....more to come soon!!

Remember you can be the power of ONE, YOU can make a difference in the lives around you!

Pam 
2016-17 District Governor 
www.rotarypamlightsey.com
























No comments:

Post a Comment